CONTINUE READING BELOW
Be it small or big, being a business owner brings in a lot of responsibilities including business analytics, KPI, customer service & whatnot.
In this short & precise guide, you’ll get to know how businesses (like yours) can benefit from using analytics on their website.
Along with the importance of web analytics, I've listed some of the widely used FREE & Premium analytics softwares that will be really useful for any kind of business website.
Quick Note: A lot of folks are googling for the exact query which is related to “Google Digital Garage”.
So, the correct answer to the question: How can businesses benefit from using analytics on their website is:
- It will show you where your audience comes from (Correct Answer)
- It will list which pages your audience does not like
- It will show where your customers go after they’ve left your site
- It will show you why your audience visit your site
If you want a bit of detailed information about web analytics & the right kind of tools & softwares to use, you can stick with me.
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll learn in this article…
Quick Overview of Web Analytics & Why It’s Important in 2022
According to Optimizely, Web analytics is the measurement & analysis of data to inform an understanding of user behavior across web pages.
In simple words, web analytics provides understandable data of how a visitor interacts & behaves on your website.
The results or rather say data of web analytics are usually provided in form of tables, charts & graphs (which doesn't require rocket science to understand)
Be it a business website or a simple blog like mine, analytics provides data such as:
- how many users visit my website homepage
- how long they stayed (time period)
- along with the homepage, how many other pages they visited
- where they came from, & much more (explained below)
If not, you are losing money on the table. Try Cloudways Hosting FREE for 3 Days
& see how fast your business website can be.
Why Web Analytics is so Important for businesses?
Here’s a quote that I think fits better in this post:
“If you can’t measure it, you can’t improve it”Peter Drucker
Website analytics not only provide insights and data that can be used to create a better user experience for website visitors, but it also helps you understand customer behavior so that you can optimize your site for more conversions.
And more conversions = more profits 😉
In a nutshell, web analytics helps you understand your website audience, analyze customer behavior & then, make a data-driven decision that will help you grow your business & bring more profits.
Talking about metrics that come along in analytics softwares, the following are the basic ones to keep in mind…
- Visitor: A visitor (or user) is someone who visits your website.
- Pageview: A pageview is when a visitor visits a page of your website. It’s measured every single time the tracking code is loaded.
- Session: A session is a series of activities taken by a user on your website including page views, events, etc. A session expires when the user is inactive for more than 30 mins.
- Traffic: Traffic/Visits is the total no. of page visits in a given time period.
- Time on Page: Calculated as avg time spent by a user on your website
- Bounce Rate: The bounce rate is the percentage of the users who visited your website but didn’t have any interaction & went off.
If you want to dig deep, a quick google search will help. At the end of this post, I’ve provided some resources for you.
For now, let’s take a look at some of the benefits of web analytics…
Key Benefits of Using Web Analytics on a business website
Web analytics is a valuable way to analyze the various key performance indicators (KPI’s) that help to drive your business & its effectiveness.
Web analytics monitors:
- Audience data like a number of visitors, unique visitors, new vs returning users, where they are from (location), from which browser or device they are visiting your website, user screen resolution, where the user is coming from (eg: google search, social media, etc)
- Audience behavior like most number of pageviews, common landing pages, exit pages, most frequently visited pages, avg time spent by users, bounce rate, exit rate, etc.
- Campaign analytics like which campaign drove the most traffic, revenue, which campaign keywords resulted in a page visit, so on & so forth.
With the help of analytics, businesses can:
- Learn how people interact with your website, how they find it, what they do on it and so on which in turn helps you make crucial decisions about content, design, or other business factors
- Analyze the success of their website & get new ideas
- Identify the right content to be published
- Optimize SEO performance, and understand what users are looking for
- Overall, improve the company's marketing campaigns & increase business profits.
Now you know that analytics is beneficial for your business, take a look at some of the most popular analytics tools & softwares that you can use for your business analysis.
Analytics Tools & Softwares for Businesses
When it comes to softwares & tools, be it analytics or video editing, there are a ton of them. Choosing the right & trusted one can help you a lot in the long run.
The following are some of the most used analytics tools…
An emerging independent bootstrapped tech company & the only privacy-focused analytics tool that’s one of the best alternatives to big players like google analytics.
Here’s how the dashboard looks of Fathom Analytics:
Quick Note: Fathom Analytics is used by some of the Fortune 100’s companies including Buffer, IBM, Tailwind, Github.
Try it for FREE
Some of the key benefits of using fathom analytics are
- Gives you complete control of your data & also, offers forever data retention which you can export anytime
- Unlike other big giants, they have an honest business model & don’t sell data to make profits
- Offers an intuitive & really easy-to-understand dashboard. Seriously, it’s one of the best UI-UX-focused analytics dashboards I’ve ever seen
- They also offer uptime monitoring & unlimited email reports
- Even on their cheapest plan, you can use fathom analytics up to 50 sites
- As mentioned, it’s privacy-focused & hence, fully compliant with GDPR, CCPA, ePrivacy, and More
If you want more reason, check out what the co-founder of Fathom Analytics has to say…
Fathom is a premium analytics software. It has 3 main tiers of pricing starting at $14/mo which you can use up to 50 websites. But thankfully, they do offer a 7 day FREE Trial.
- $14/month – 100K page views per month
- $24/month – 200K page views per month
- $34/month – 400K page views per month
Overall, it’s a revolutionary software that has a bright future. If you’re looking for privacy-focused & easy-to-use analytics software then fathom is definitely worth giving a try.
#2 Google Analytics
Although not so privacy-friendly, still one of the most popular analytics tools used by bloggers, small businesses & even agencies. In fact, one out of every two websites has google analytics code installed.
Take a look at the GA dashboard…
It has the highest user base as it’s FREE & powered by Google.
It helps you with all the basic & advanced analytics like how much traffic your website is receiving in a month, which pages get most visited, how much time they stay, and many more data which is more than enough for most business owners.
After this section, I have provided a step-by-step guide on how you can get started with Fathom Analytics as well as Google Analytics.
#3 Adobe Analytics
Just like Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics is also an industry-leading solution for real-time analysis & detailed segmentation across all marketing channels.
It’s paid service & according to some reports, adobe analytics can cost up to $100,000 a year which makes it a really expensive tool for small business owners.
#4 Crazy Egg
Crazyegg is one of the most useful analytics tools out there.
It provides you with eye-tracking tools such as Heatmaps, Scroll maps, etc to track visitor engagement like clicks, scroll depth, etc on your website.
Take a look at Crazy Egg Dashboard (demo)…
It can be really useful to find out what pages or sections or CTA’s of your website gets clicks most & what can be optimized further.
A premium A/B testing product by entrepreneur Neil Patel.
Pricing starts at $24/mo but they also offer 30 Days FREE Trail for all of their plans. Visit Crazyegg & Start your free trial.
Last but not least is Mixpanel. It’s an advanced analytics tool that measures actions & tracks events.
It’s mostly used by SaaS companies for product engagement & customer retention.
The best part is, for 100K visitors, it’s completely FREE.
Their growth plan starts at $25/mo. For enterprise-level, you can visit the official website & get in touch.
Now, take a look at how you can get started with privacy-focused analytics tools i.e fathom…
How to Get Started with Fathom Analytics
Step 1: Click on this special link & you’ll be redirected to the official website of fathom.
Step 2: As shown below, click on the button “get started for free” & it will take you to the register page.
Step 3: Select your plan as per your needs.
For most startups & beginners, a 100K pageviews plan which starts at $14/mo will be more than enough.
On the right-hand side, simply fill in the basic details like your email address, password & CC info & then Click on the “Create your account” button.
Quick Note: You won’t be charged until your 7 days trial ends. So, feel free to use the platform & see if fits your needs.
For further documentation like how to add analytics code to your website, you can view their detailed docs.
How to Get Started with Google Analytics
For this one, a lot of folks have already created tons & tons of tutorials, so I think watching a tutorial will be more beneficial…
Here’s a tutorial on how you can set up google analytics (Hindi)
Video credits: WSCubeTech Youtube channel
Pro Tip: If you have a WordPress website, here's how you can design your WordPress website like a pro (even if you're a beginner).
Additional Resouces (Learn Google Analytics)
Making data-driven decisions will surely help you grow your business faster than ever.
But what if you don’t know how to use the analytics to your advantage, what metrics to analyze, so on & so forth.
So, If you want to learn about the most popular & free analytics tool i.e Google Analytics, then I recommend watching this full course on Google Analytics by WSCubeTech.
Here you can watch Google Analytics (3 hours long) Hindi Course & it’s completely Free!
As Peter Drucker says, If you can’t measure it, you can’t improve it.
Measuring is the first step towards improving anything. Be it analytics or just a simple habit. You need to measure it.
I hope this post helped you understand the importance of analytics & how can businesses benefit from using analytics on their website.
Now, start using premium tools such as Fathom Analytics, Crazyegg, Google analytics, etc & start measuring your website performance.
If you’ve come so far, I would like to hear from you.
Which software you're going to start using for your business? What are the key metrics that you wanna track?
Also, feel free to ask any questions or share suggestions in the comments.