Disclosure: My blog is reader-supported. Some of the links on this page may contain affiliate links. Learn more
Looking to create a blog/magazine WordPress website using the Journo theme? Well, you’ve landed right.
This is my complete review of the Journo WordPress theme.
In this up-to-date review, you’ll get to know
- Who should consider this theme
- Key features of the Journo theme that are actually Creative
- Pricing & how to get started
- The Pros & the Cons of Journo theme
- Whether or not I recommend
- Alternatives & lots more
So without further ado, let’s dive in…
Quick Overview of Journo Theme & Who is it suitable for?
Journo is a Blog/Magazine WordPress theme crafted for content creators or better to quote writers, bloggers & journalists looking to publish a ton of content on their WordPress website.
Its creative design, unique layouts with over 9+ demo sites makes it stand out from the crowd. Take a look at one of the demos…
In a nutshell, the Journo theme is suitable for bloggers, online publications, writers & journalists who want a professional yet creative design for their WordPress website.
So, if you’re one of them, you can use the Journo theme to easily create a blog or a magazine (news) kind of website which you’ll be proud of.
Although the theme does support WooCommerce which enables you to sell products on your site, it’s not solely built for eCommerce, LMS & that’s why I recommend not to consider “Journo” the all-in-one theme.
That being said, let’s quickly take a look at its features…
Key Features of Journo Theme that are actually creative
You may get overwhelmed looking at the bundle of features listed on the Journo theme's product page on ThemeForest marketplace, out of which most are basic ones & highly exaggerated.
Here are some of the notable features…
- Pre-built Layouts & Demo Content: Over 9+ pre-built homepage layouts & demo content helps you get started quickly. All the demos & content can be imported with just a click of your mouse.
- Modern, Responsive & Unique design: Along with the homepage, the content pages, blog post layouts, sliders, etc all are unique, fully responsive layouts that help you create a remarkable magazine module.
- A couple of Premium plugins included: Slider Revolution plugin (allows creating awesome slider, worth $85) & WPBakery a flexible page builder (worth $64) is included with this theme. You get both of these (best sellers on Codecanyon) pre-installed in this theme. You can be assured that you’ll end up designing a beautiful yet professional site.
- Tons of Header styles along with Megamenu builder: Several header variations are included which can be tweaked as per your choice. Also, this theme allows you to create a mega menu that will help you display more information in the header menu.
- A few more: Social sharing, popups, sliders, advertisement slots, WPML support, WooCommerce support, ready to import homepage & inner pages, adoptable shortcodes & all 800+ google fonts are some of the noteworthy features of the Journo theme.
Journo Theme Pricing as of 2022
As of writing this article, the pricing of the Journo theme is $75 in which you get all the premium features, unlimited site usage, lifetime updates & support for 6 months.
In case you need extended support for 12 months, check the tiny box below the pricing & $23.63 will be added to your cart making it a purchase of $98.63.
Quick Guide on How to Get Started with Journo Theme
If you want to get this theme then follow these 4 steps otherwise, consider checking the alternatives…
Step 1: Click on this link & Purchase the Journo theme from the Themeforest marketplace.
Step 2: After the checkout is completed, proceed to download the theme file from your dashboard. Download the files on your computer & make sure to extract the files.
Step 3: The next step is to log in to your WordPress dashboard & then navigate to Appearance > Themes. Next, click on the upload button & then upload your main theme file.
Step 4: Once the theme is uploaded, put in the license code to active the theme. Now, simply visit their demo page section and choose a template to install & then you’re good to go. Feel free to customize any part of your website as they offer unlimited typography & colors.
The Pros & Cons of Journo Theme
- Eye-catching & Wow layouts: It’s rare to see the pre-built layouts that come with this theme. It’s clean & sleek in terms of style & layouts are seriously unique & responsive. At first glance, one cannot say that it’s a WordPress theme.
- Powerful Post Layout Options: As a blogger, I like different layouts for different kinds of posts. This theme comes with 6-7 unique & modern blog layouts that you can quickly assign to your different blog posts. The good thing about blog post layouts is they are standard & easy to read but you’re free to customize it even further.
- A couple of Premium plugins worth $149: Slider Revolution plugin (worth $85) & WPBakery page builder (worth $64) are included with the theme. Meaning, you’re getting two premium plugins worth $149.
- Shortcode for everything: If you want to place a widget or a blog slider, everything can be achieved just by placing a tiny shortcode. For most of the features that this theme offers, you get a shortcode for that which be really helpful.
- Header Variations: With over 9+ header variations, you can easily change your site header & feel anytime. I personally like dynamic headers where you can change alignment, menus & CTA’s which is supported by this theme.
- Quality Developer: As the author, Edge themes has over 85,000+ sales on ThemeForest marketplace, you & I can trust them bcoz they are power elite authors (sold more than $1 million dollars worth of items on Marketplace)
- Fewer updates & hence an outdated theme: Published in 2018 & the last update was on 28th Oct 2020 (view changelog). Well, we are in 2022 & things have changed a lot but the developer hasn’t updated it. That's why, I would call it as “an outdated theme”.
- Not the all-in-one theme, yet Expensive: Yes, the layouts are unique & many more features, but pricing is not justified. By all-in-one, I mean the themes that support a wide range of plugins & different layouts that can be achieved.
For example, Kadence (my #1 recommended) theme is an all-in-one theme from which you can create a blog (like mine), WooCommerce store, LMS site & almost everything that you can imagine.
The pricing for the Kadence theme is just $59 whereas this blog theme is being sold at $75 (overpriced)
- Poor Ratings & Reviews: On the Themforest marketplace, this theme has nearly 1,000 sales & out of 1000, only 22 have rated & that too, just a 4-star rating. It’s not the kind of theme I would go for. Do check out the alternatives mentioned below.
My Verdict: Is this $75 theme any good for the Blog/Magazine website?
To be very honest, the Journo theme is pretty good & unique in terms of design but for $75, it doesn’t justify the price tag.
The reason I’m saying this is bcoz, at this price point, you can get even better themes that are much more compatible with other plugins, are up-to-date & has an active community.
As per my editorial philosophy, my reviews are unbiased & that’s why I won’t recommend this theme just for some commissions. (Yes, I'm an affiliate of some of these products)
Instead of getting this outdated theme, I recommend going for an up-to-date, modern & flexible theme somewhat like the Kadence theme (the one I’m using on this blog)
Anyway, Feel free to go with the Journo theme if you really like the design & are willing to pay $75, otherwise, check out the “better” alternatives to the Journo theme.
Better & Cheaper Alternatives to Journo Theme
- Kadence “All in One” Theme: My #1 recommended theme for WordPress websites no matter the use case. It’s the most versatile & feature-rich theme in 2022.
With over 100K+ installs, this is the go-to theme. I’m using the pro version that costs only $59 (for unlimited websites) on this website. Kadence is also used & recommended by WordPress experts. Learn more about Kadence
- SquareType – Modern Blog WordPress Theme: One of the best sellers on Themeforest marketplace. It’s a content-based Blog & Magazine WordPress theme with over 2000+ sales & 5-star ratings. Unique layouts, professional design & blazing fast speed makes this theme a top choice for blogs. Learn more about SquareType
- Blogar – Blog Magazine Theme: Although a newcomer in the market, it’s quickly gaining popularity bcoz of its eye-catching layouts & creative design. With over 700+ sales & 4.9 ratings, it’s a premium & trendy theme to look out for. Available on ThemeForest at $39. Learn more about Blogar
The alternatives list can go on and on as there are so many options. If I had to choose & recommend just one, then it would be no other than “Kadence”
Check out the features & I’m sure you’ll love it.
With that being said, I hope this journo theme review helps you in your purchasing decision.
Now, it's your turn.
Also, feel free to ask any questions you might have.